Sunday, April 16, 2006

Deco: Altered Cabinet Card



Had to do a free expression deco, so I'm picking my own theme. My friend Cathy sent me a great little cab card so while I was making copies for a chunky book I added it to the original & copied it also. Then it got mounted onto cardstock & trimmed. Then I made a little deco filled with cab cards for my art buddies to alter. Had to do one myself. Here's the original & my altered version.

First I used gel medium over the part of the picture that I didn't want paint to cover. When that was dry I covered the whole thing with a lovely gold acrylic & wiped off the part covering the picture with a rag. Then when that was dry I painted some color blocks with a metallic amethyst and phthalocyanine green. When that layer was dry I stamped with black memories ink, the squares (cat's life Press) and the circles (top of my glue stick container). Then I added a layer of blue glaze - simply a glazing medium added to blue paint. Again wiping off the area that I didn't want colored. Then I added a piece of vintage text & various rub-ons (Treasure Art Trends- see link at left). Then covered the whole thing with a coat of gel medium. I wanted to protect the rub-ons because this is going into a deco & will be mailed to various artist friends & possible handled. I really like how it turned out. Although next time I would allow more drying time between layers. Can't wait to do another- I have a nice little collection of cabinet cards now, just need to finish up some swaps so I have time to PLAY!!!!!

Edited to add comment:
vicci said...

Hi Stacie....I am happy to find your blog! I love the altered cabinet card

No comments: