Sunday, August 29, 2010

SATeam Blog Carnival- August

Our team has adopted the idea of a blog carnival.  I'm really excited about this.  Various members of the team will give their thoughts on the same question.  You'll be able to follow the links around the blogosphere.  Should be fun & informative.  This months question is:  How does texture play in your work?

You know I love this.  I think that it even goes back to mixed media collage- because I love texture when I paint also.  And layer after layer of paint and marks really give a piece texture and life. There are very few Azoho pieces that I create that don't have texture.  I like my pieces to look old.  Like they've already lived a life and have a story to tell.  Each piece has a different story, but the texture plays a roll.  This is a reflection of myself.  I have more....um....texture than I used to.  But there's good things that come with age- knowledge, patience, understanding, wrinkles.  LOL.  I'm not shiny new and neither is the jewelry that I create.  I suppose in my mind texture equals a life that's lived, and lived well!


"Raspberry Pendant"  Available


As far as the technical aspect of texture...how do I achieve it?  Well I'll share a secret with you- my all time favorite texture is from concrete.  I go outside and put my metal on a sidewalk and proceed to whack it with a rawhide mallet.  I also have a few hammers with various "marks" on their heads that make great texture.  And of course- the rolling mill.  That's like a great big pasta machine for metal.  And I suppose etching makes a great textured surface.  And when I'm patient....reticulation is a great texture that I love to use.  And of course- when I've finished a piece- I like to add a patina to show off all that lovely texture.  Then I polish it again to give it depth and character.  Um...this is where I say...Just like me!

"Molten"  Set with a 4mm CZ:  Private Collection


Click on these links to see what my talented team mates have to say about texture in their own work!
Andrea Robinson*   
Bonnie        
Camilla
Caron      
Julie R      
Kristy*      
Lynn Kvigne   
Nicker       
Nicole Hill
Pam*   
Sylvia*   

* denotes a link to their blog- not the specific post- yet!

5 comments:

Caron Michelle said...

Great post - I love how you describe the method on how you get your texture, I must try that! The molten piece is sensational!

Anonymous said...

Concrete? Super idea. A rolling mill is on my xmas list, but my hubby isnt thrilled *g. Love your pendants.

Happileerving said...

That's a greaqt tip about the concrete, thanks for sharing.

Cory said...

Love the raspberry pendant...would look great as earrings also.

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Thank you so very much!!