Thursday, August 14, 2008

Museum of Science

This is the last week of summer for us as school starts next week. So we've been trying to cram in some fun stuff. I knew there was a MOS in Ft Lauderdale, but that's almost 2 hours away & with gas prices being what they are, probably not going to happen. My oldest LOVES all things science. A Mom at Karate told me yesterday that there was a MOS in West Palm Beach. So this morning after a couple of errands, we headed down there. I grabbed my camera on the way out. Not because I wanted to schlep it around all day (days like this I wish we'd bought the smaller, lighter model), but I really was hoping to get a pic of my little one with his hair all standing up from the plasma thing. It does it on slides so I thought this would be funny. Things to do next time.....bring extra batteries for the camera or charge them & feed the kids first because they have nothing to eat there.

Took us a little over an hour to get there. VERY COOL PLACE! We were there for over 5 hours, couldn't tear those kids away. Next month the "Grossology" exhibit comes so I'm certain we'll go back. My batteries were so dead that the photo of the mastodon bones didn't come out right. But I did get two photos, they creep me out but they're really cool.....in the light of day. They have an ancient Egypt exhibit, complete with mummy.



Creepy but cool huh? The signs said that they couldn't tell if it was a girl or a boy without causing harm to it. But they do know that it's a little over 2400 years old, and it was well cared for because there's gold on the face (you can see it close up), and that it probably died from the crack in the skull & the fracture in it's leg. They said it was about 5 years old but it was small. Like the size of a 2 year old today. But what's REALLY creepy.....I was sitting next to it for a really long time while the kids were exploring & you can actually see it's hair. Not sure if you can in this pic....






So all in all it was a really fun day & we can't wait to go back. Next time I'll check the batteries! They had so many cool things in the Egypt exhibit. There were containers, forgot what they're called, that they used to put the organs into. There was a sarcophagus. A mummified raven. And a really old necklace with lapis in it. And a lapis scarab, they believe from a piece of jewelry.

I enjoyed the gem & mineral exhibit and the underwater exhibit- fish I've never seen before. But the little one picked out all of his friends from "Nemo" LOL.

Just wanted to share this before I went to bed. Hoping that this little guy won't show up in my dreams tonight.

5 comments:

ChezChani said...

Creepy pics, not sure I want to thank you for sharing those! Sounds like a good time and educational.

Diane Geisel Reiki Master, formerly MyGemStoneBox by Diane said...

Hi Stacie,
Great pic's...you're right..they are creepy. My clan, myself included are science nuts too. My son loves the pictures..lol.
D
http://mygemstonebox.blogspot.com

KimberlyRies said...

Cool pictures Stacie. Thanks for sharing! I love egyptian history and artifacts!

Kim
http://kimberlyries.blogspot.com

Sony Laptop Batteries said...

Wow i really like these pictures. Would you mind if i use the for my class next Monday? I teach at a private school in D.C. its for an elementary class.

I absolutely love Egyptian artifacts and now they are studying about egyptian history so this would be a good one.

I am actually going to egypt next week for a photography session maybe ill even send some over to you if you like this stuff!

Cheers!

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Sure- go ahead & use them. The kids will either love it or be totally creeped out!